- Starting point: Cusco/Cachora
- Finishing Point: Choquekirao/Huanipaca/Cusco.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Age Restrictions: 12 years old.
- Trip Code: MTS-0011
- Type of tour: Trekking, Cultural Adventure
- Accommodations: Camping 3 nights.
- Level of Service: Standard-Deluxe
- Satisfaction and Security Guaranteed.
- Type of trip: Personalized.
- Carbon Emissions: 360 CO2-E
- Group Size Restrictions: 2 min/10max.
- Transportation: Train, walking, Van.
- Contact us for price: must pay in USD.
Day 1: Cusco-Cachora-Chiquisca
We will leave Cusco at 5:30am and drive to the town of Cachora (2,850m/9,350ft), where we will wait for the packhorses that will carry our gear for the expedition. From there we will begin our trek by hiking climb the Capuliyoc pass (2,800m/9,186ft). The trail offers an amazing view of the Padreyoc peak, the deep Apurímac river canyon (Talk about God canyon), we will then descend the pass to the Chiquisca canyon (1,930m/6,332ft) where we will spend the night.
- Climate: temperate
- Time on trail: 7 hours
Day 2: Chiquisca – Playa Rosalina – Marampata – Choquekirao
After breakfast we will descend the Playa Rosalina (1,550m/5,085ft), from there we will continue in the direction of Marampata (2,850m/9350ft) where we will have a beautiful view of the archeological site of Choquerkirao (3,003m/9,951ft), and our campsite is 25 minutes from the site.
- Climate: cold and hot.
- Time on trail: 7 hours.
Day 3: Choquekirao – San Ignacio – Carmen
At sunrise we will make our way to visit the archeological site of Choquerkirao, for now only 50% has been excavated. After our visit we will descend the steepest part of the canon of Apurímac, called San Ignacio (1,500m/4,921ft) and eat lunch. After lunch we will ascend to our 3rd campsite, situated in the beautiful Carmen gardens (2,000m/6,562ft).
- Climate: humid climate with mosquitos.
- Time on trail: 6 hours.
NOTE: This day is one of the most beautiful because of the incredible climate changes you will experience, however this section can be extremely slippery and dangerous, so it is very important you walk very carefully.
4th day: Carmen – Tambobamba Manor – Huanipaca – Cusco
The Carmen gardens are right next to the Tambobamba mansion (2500m/8,202ft), which is a region that was once cared for during the 19th and 20th century by the owners, it is considered one of the most fertile place to produce corn and potatoes. After our visit we will continue our trek and pass through the small towns of Pacobamba and Huanipaca (3,150m/10,335ft) and then return to Cusco.
- Climate: humid and hot
- Time on trail: 5 hours
- Transportation: 5 hours
- Transportation from your hotel to Cachora.
- Entrance to Coquekirao.
- Pack horses to carry your gear.
- Professional bilingual (English/Spanish) guide.
- Daily snack
- Top of the line camping equipment.
- Food for the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Warm water after every meal.
- Sherpas for all your camping equipment.
- 1 emergency horse.
- Emergency kit with an emergency bottle of oxygen.
- Return in private bus to Cusco
Tour does NOT include:
- Sleeping bag, you can rent one at our office for 5 USD a day.
- Accommodations in Cusco.
Recommended you bring:
- Original Passport.
- Student ID (incase discounts can be received)
- Walking poles or canes with rubber bottoms to protect archeological sites.
- Bathing suite.
- Have cash at hand, either soles or USD.
- Backpack with a change of clothes.
- Rain coat or a poncho.
- Hiking shoes that are durable have good traction and give support.
- Sandals or extra shoes for camping.
- Warm clothing, warm jackets, fleeces, thermals and lots of warm layers.
- Head light or flashlight with extra batteries.
- Camera with all camera gear and extra batteries (batteries die faster in colder conditions).
- Hat to protect yourself from the sun, and a beanie or wool hat for the cold.
- Lotion for dry skin.
- Bug repellent, the higher the DEET % the better.
- Bandana or handkerchief.
- Toilet paper.
- Snacks: cookies, chocolate, chips, energy bars, shot blocks, fruit.
- A reusable water bottle (Nalgene).
- Optional: Iodine tablets, steri pen or water pump for water sterilization.
- Personal prescriptions and medicine.