Summary of the Program
An alternative route to the Incan trail that connects with the large network of trails that lead to Machu Picchu.
First day: Cusco – Soraypampa
We will pick you up from your hotel at about 5:00am in the morning and take you to the small town of Mollepata, where we will arrive at about 9:00am. We will hike for about 4 hours through incredibly diverse geography, later we will arrive at Silcakancha where we will eat lunch. After lunch we will walk another 3 hours until we reach our campsite for the night at Soraypampa.
Second Day: Soraypampa-Colpapampa
After breakfast we will continue to the hike to a high altitude pass that sits at 4650m, after a long climb you will get a spectacular view of the Andes Mountains. We will then descend the pass, eat a quick lunch, and then continue hiking until we reach our campsite for the night.
Third Day: Colpapampa – Playa Santa Teresa
We will each breakfast very early and continue hiking until we reach our lunch spot, Lluscamayu, where we will visit the Incan bridges and have the opportunity to gander and the incredible landscapes of the area. Continue hiking until we reach the Playa of Santa Teresa where we will eat dinner and spend the night.
Fourth Day: Playa Santa Teresa-Hidroelectrica – Aguas Calientes
After breakfast we will board a small train that will take you to the small town of Santa Teresa, after which we will hike for about an hour to the crossing of the Urubamba River. We will reach Hidroelectrica, eat lunch and have some free time while we wait for the train that will take us on a 30 minute ride to the town of Aguas Calientes. This night you will sleep and eat in a hotel in Aguas Calientes.
Fifth Day: Machu Picchu – Cusco
After breakfast we will take a bus to the lost city of Machu Picchu, where we will have a two hour guided tour of all the main parts of the city. After the tour you will have free time to take pictures and wonder around the city, we will then return back to Aguas Calientes to board a train headed to Cusco.
The Program Includes
- Hotel pickup.
- Bus to Mollepata.
- Camping gear.
- Accommodations (4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners).
- Cook and cooking gear.
- Return train.
- One night in a hostel in Aguas Calientes.
- First aid kit.
Program does NOT include
- Sleeping bag.
- Lunch the last day.
- Optional train from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes, Machupicchu.
Recommended you bring:
- Original Passport.
- Student ID (incase discounts can be received)
- Walking poles or canes with rubber bottoms to protect archeological sites.
- Bathing suite.
- Have cash at hand, either soles or USD.
- Backpack with a change of clothes.
- Rain coat or a poncho.
- Hiking shoes that are durable have good traction and give support.
- Sandals or extra shoes for camping.
- Warm clothing, warm jackets, fleeces, thermals and lots of warm layers.
- Head light or flashlight with extra batteries.
- Camera with all camera gear and extra batteries (batteries die faster in colder conditions).
- Hat to protect yourself from the sun, and a beanie or wool hat for the cold.
- Lotion for dry skin.
- Bug repellent, the higher the DEET % the better.
- Bandana or handkerchief.
- Toilet paper.
- Snacks: cookies, chocolate, chips, energy bars, shot blocks, fruit.
- A reusable water bottle (Nalgene).
- Optional: Iodine tablets, steri pen or water pump for water sterilization.
- Personal prescriptions and medicine.